Jurien Bay - RAAF Radar 48, North Head
Located at North Head in Jurien Bay is the remains of the World War II Radar station operated by the Royal Australian Air Force from 1943-45.
Accessible through the 4WD tracks south from Sandy Cape or by boat in low swell, the remains of the former radar station are visible throughout the scrub in the dunes, nearby two concrete bunkers can be found along with the remnants of sandbag emplacements for the generators and the base of the radar installation. On the 4wd track 400 metres east of the bunkers an underground water tank, concrete pads and foundations can be found.
For a more detailed description of the history of the site, head to Bob Sheppard's Heritage Detection site. Bob has done a great deal of research into the history of Radar 48 and other World War II sites throughout the state.